Red bean sloppy Joes have a touch of ground beef in them, so while they not quite meatless, they are pretty close. The red beans fill you up with healthy fiber, stretching your grocery budget at the same time! This is a quick and easy, kid friendly dinner.
I frequently get asked by readers of my column in the Greenwood Daily Journal for recipes that have little to no meat, are budget friendly, and are quick and easy to make. Because they are budget friendly, filling, and meatless, nine times out of ten, I share recipes with beans in them. And today is no different – I am sharing one of my family’s favorite dinners. I know a lot of you post your meatless entrees on Mondays, so since this is almost meatless, I thought I would try to slip it in!
I originally saw this recipe in an old issue of Cooking Light magazine. Mark Bittman wrote a great article about reducing your red meat intake, and this recipe was attached. I typically double the recipe when I make it so I can have leftovers for lunch. It’s fantastic on buns, but my family prefers having it on top of steamed Jasmine rice or wrapped in tortillas. ????
When I make the red bean sloppy Joes, I don’t tell my oldest that it has beans in it. I mash the beans completely, and he has never noticed them. You can mash 1/2 of them, as Bittman suggests, but I go all the way. This is an economical dish and is perfect if you need to stretch your meat budget, so to speak.
Let me know what you think of these meaty red bean sloppy Joes!
Total Servings 4
A rich and hearty sloppy Joe sandwich, made with a combination of ground beef and mashed red beans. Full of healthy fiber!
5 minPrep (inc. refrigeration & rest time)
15 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1 TB minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 6 oz. lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1 tsp chili powder , use 2 tsp if you like it a bit spicier
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes, I used Red Gold
- 1 15 oz can red beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 sandwich buns
- red onion slices
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and beef. Cook until meat is browned.
- Add carrot, chili powder,brown sugar, oregano, and red pepper. Cook 2 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until thickened to your desired consistency. Meanwhile,put the red beans in a small bowl and mash them with a fork. When the tomato/beef mixture is almost finished, add the beans to the skillet. Cook 1 more minute, until the beans are heated through.
- Put the mixture onto sliced hearty whole wheat buns with a crisp Romaine leaf and a few red onion slices.
More meatless meals with beans:
Vegetarian Instant Pot Bean Soup
Slow Cooker Black Bean Pumpkin Chili
Cinnamon Spiced Slow Cooker Beans
One response to “Meaty Red Bean Sloppy Joes”