Chill out in summer’s heat and celebrate National Ice Cream Month as the American Dairy Association hosts its 24th annual Ice Cream Social Friday, July 12 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the southeast quadrant of Monument Circle in downtown Indianapolis.
We have been to this the last 2 years and it is really a great time. There are SO many booths serving ice cream that there really isn’t a long wait at all.
Guests can treat their taste buds to $3 gigantic (and I mean gigantic!) sundaes drizzled with the choice of chocolate, strawberry, caramel, or butterscotch syrups, and a variety of toppings including Girl Scout cookies and sauces. Sundaes are dished out by more than 30 celebrity scoopers including local media personalities, sports notables and business dignitaries. I was asked to be a “celebrity” scooper this year but we will be on vacation ???? Maybe next year!
The event features mascots, face painters, a photo booth, interactive games, displays, music, the Pacers Fan Van, and Molly and her calves — real live cows from Purdue Dairy Sciences. All proceeds benefit the Girl Scouts of Central Indiana.
It really is a fun time and my kids always look forward to making their own sundae and eating it on the steps of the memorial. The weather is usually great and it is just a nice day to get outside and have some ice cream!
Did You Know:
- More ice cream is sold on Sundays than any other day of the week
- Indiana is 2nd in the production of ice cream in America as well as low-fat and fat-free ice cream
- Ice cream is a great source of calcium and helps to build strong bones
- Ice Cream is great paired with fruits, nuts and and bananas (well of COURSE it is!)
- Vitamin A, D, Protein and Phosphorus is found in ice cream
- It takes roughly 50 licks to polish off 1 scoop of ice cream. Challenge your family to a contest!
Get more information about this event HERE