Crock Pot turkey breast is a delicious dinner recipe, perfect for a small holiday gathering, or just for a weeknight dinner option. This easy recipe lets you make a turkey breast in a slow cooker, turning out perfectly every time, along with a delicious gravy!
This crock pot turkey breast recipe can also been seen in the November 12, 2014 issue of Nuvo Magazine!
Hear more about how to make this with Sean Copeland on B105.7 Soft Rock
I have said it before and I will say it again. You can make pretty much anything in a slow cooker! Main dish dinners, desserts, hot dips, and even mulled wine- you have lots of options there. But I probably use my slow cooker the most to cook meats and soups.
I have been testing a slow cooker recipe that I use on whole chickens, and I always get one thing wrong. I am sure you all already knew the one thing I was doing wrong and I was just the last to figure it out.
Start cooking a whole bird breast side down, like I often do in the oven, is the real key to pulling off a juicy bird in a slow cooker. Turkey and chicken- same result. So I put it to the test with my turkey breast recipe. Be sure to flip the turkey breast side up in the last hour to crisp up the skin a bit.
I add lemon or orange zest to the spice mix for extra flavor, but leave it out if you want. Also, be sure to reserve those liquids from the Crock Pot after you take the breast out. Make a roux on the stove top by combining equal amounts of butter and flour (2 tablespoons of each). Let the butter melt before you stir in the flour. Then, add a pinch of black pepper and slowly whisk in 2 cups of the remaining liquid. It makes one heck of a gravy!
Please let me know what you think of this Crock Pot turkey breast recipe!
Total Servings 6
Make a perfectly juicy and well seasoned bird in the slow cooker. Every time!
5 minPrep (inc. refrigeration & rest time)
5 hrCook Time
5 hr, 5 Total Time
- 1 5-6 lb turkey breast: thawed, rinsed and patted dry with a paper towel
- 3 TB of unsalted butter, very soft (alternately you can use 2 TB of olive oil if you prefer)
- 1 tsp dried minced onion
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/3 tap fresh black pepper
- 1 tsp citrus zest (I use lemon or orange)
- 1/2 to 3/4 C chicken stock (depends on size of breast)
- Combine spice mixture in a small bowl.
- Rub inside and outside of breast with butter or olive oil.
- Sprinkle liberally with spice mixture.
- Place, breast side down, in a 6 qt (minimum size) slow cooker.
- Pour in the chicken stock.
- Place lid in with a good seal.
- With one hour left flip the turkey (or chicken) over so the breast is facing up.
- This gives the skin time to crisp up a bit.
- Cook on Low:6 hours (check it at 5 hours)
- High:4 hours (check it at 3 hours)
- Times are an estimate based on crock pot size, if you lift the lid too much and if your bird was completely thawed out.
- Please use a meat thermometer to measure for doneness.