I was asked to do my first ever ‘solo’ segment on Fox59 news here in my hometown of Indianapolis. Every month I am usually joined by Sherman and his trusty cameraman and foodie BJ here at the house but this month I am heading north alone!
I was asked to share 3 of my favorite quick or make ahead Christmas morning breakfast ideas. I had shared a few months ago with Sherman about how every year I have a traditional menu and I never deviate from it. So knowing this I guess they thought I would fit the bill for this segment!
Several years ago my grandmother told me the secret of her fruit salad. How it was so cohesive, not overly sweet and definitely not watery. Her secret was pie filling. She explained that Christmas morning was a time for decadence and celebration. This light, crystal colored fruit salad set the tone for the day. Balancing well with my annual french toast casserole, sausage and apple balls and egg dish, this fruit salad started making an appearance on my holiday breakfast table.
So with her in mind I am sharing this with you all. I have many variations on the fruit salad that I make weekly as it is a great way to start the day and get a bit of natural energy, but this one is reserved for December 25th.
- 1 11oz can Mandarin oranges, drained and juices reserved
- 1 20 oz can pineapple chunks, drained and juices reserved
- 2 medium apples, chopped
- 2 bananas, sliced thick
- 1 pint of strawberries, sliced in half
- 1 21oz can peach pie filling
- (remove a few spoonfulls of the filling 'glue' if desired, you can always add it later if you want a softer finish)
- ¼ C coconut flakes, toasting optional
- In a small bowl add the apples and banana and pineapple and Mandarin juice.
- Allow to sit until the rest of the salad is assembled, drain and add to the salad bowl.
- In a large decorative bowl add the pineapple, mandarin oranges, strawberries and peach pie filling. Toss with the apples and bananas.
- Top with the coconut.
Watch my segment HERE