Now look at me getting all fancy with the photography! There is a reason for that and I wish it was because I wanted to look like all of the cool kids on the block. Well, I do, but that is beside the point. This to thwart photo theft which has once again struck on my site. I am really not sure why either as I am by NO means a photographer and I took this using my iphone:)
Anyhow, back to the cake. This cake has been made 20 different ways on 200 different sites. Each recipe varies a bit from the other but for the most part they are the same. It’s hard to stand out in a sea of pumpkin posts but I’d like to think mine is just a bit different
One of the things I like about this recipe (besides it is easy and OH SO GOOD) is the fact that it uses cake mix as the crust base. I do this a lot with chocolate cakes then top with cookie dough. Now THAT is sinful!
My favorite pumpkin butter cakes come from Mostly Homemade Mom, Paula Deen, Taste of Home and My Baking Addiction but I hope you try this one. It is a blend of many of my favorites but with a bit of extra spice added to make it pop.
- 1 box of butter yellow cake mix
- 1 stick of butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 15 oz can of pumpkin (OR roast your own pie pumpkin)
- 8 oz of cream cheese, room temp
- 1 stick of melted butter
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 C powdered sugar
- topping of choice
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Melt 1 stick of butter in large bowl, add to that the cake mix and beaten egg.
- Press mixture into the bottom of an 9x13 pan coated in nonstick spray.
- In another bowl, melt the other stick of butter.
- Beat in the eggs, cream cheese, pumpkin, salt and spices.
- Blend in the vanilla and slowly add in the sugar.
- Pour over the crust dough.
- Place in oven and bake for 55-60 minutes.
- The center will bake to a jiggly finish.
- I stored this in the refrigerator because I liked the cold consistency better.
Bake in one pan OR split into 2!