Duck Recipes :Seared Duck Breast with Pomegranate Glaze, Spatchcocked Whole Duck with Mustard Glaze by A Cut Above, Indianapolis
I had the chance to observe a cooking class at A Cut Above Indianapolis with Maple Leaf Farms Duck, read all about it HERE.
Below you will find the recipes for what we made!
A Cut Above Catering
Total Servings 4-6
Spatchcocked Whole Duck with Mustard Glaze with Yukon Gold Potatoes and Broccolini Seared Duck Breast with Pomegranate Glaze and Sweet Potato Hash
You can do this! A great way to prepare duck using the spatchcock method.
30 minPrep (inc. refrigeration & rest time)
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 30 Total Time
- 1 4 pound whole Maple Leaf Farms duck
- 3 TB Dijon mustard
- 3 TB whole grain mustard
- 3-4 sprigs, minced fresh rosemary
- 5-6 sprigs, minced, fresh thyme
- 1/2 bottle dry white wine
- 2 lbs Yukon gold potatoes
- 1-2 bunches broccolini
- 2 TB butter
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 TB heavy cream, optional
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1 apple, sliced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 2 skin on Maple Leaf Farms Duck Breasts
- 1/2 lb of Maple Leaf Farms duck bacon
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled
- 2 TB butter
- 1/3 tsp dried chipotle pepper
- 12 oz baby arugula
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 6-8 oz Pomegranate juice
- 1/2 C sugar
- zest of 1 orange
- 2-3 TB of orange liqueur
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1 tsp of chipotle in adobo
- Begin by removing the backbone of the duck using a very sharp knife.
- Cut along the spine from the neck to the pelvic bone.
- Be sure to cut along both sides of the spine to remove.
- Cut away any excess skin around the neck.
- Flip the bird over and place open side down and lightly press to flatten, you will hear a few snaps, that’s ok.
- Lay the bird over a baking rack and place that rack in a baking pan (Filled with orange,apple, celery, onion and carrot) to catch the drippings.
- Rub the duck with salt, pepper, granulated garlic, rosemary and thyme.
- Roast in the oven at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Baste with the drippings, reduce heat to 350 degrees and roast another 30-40 minutes or until the breast temperature reaches 150 degrees, basting often.
- When the duck is finished, tent with foil.
- Remove the vegetables and place on a serving dish for later.
- Strain pan drippings, reserve.
- While the roasting pan is still hot, pour in wine and place back in the oven for 10 minutes.
- In a sauce pan, melt the butter, garlic and shallots.
- Remove the baking pan from oven, scrape the bottom, and transfer all of that to the sauce pan.
- Add Dijon and whole grain mustard.
- Simmer 10 minutes or until reduced a by about 1/3.
- If desired, add a splash of cream and reduce 2 minutes more.
- Remove from heat.
- Lightly saute the broccolini in a bit of olive oil, about 4 minutes on medium heat, until soft.
- Serve duck with reserved vegetables and mustard sauce.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop duck bacon, heat a skillet over medium heat, cook bacon.
- Remove bacon from pan, leaving fat.
- Grate sweet potatoes, add them to the hot duck fat, season with salt, pepper and chipotle.
- Saute until golden- 5-6 minutes.
- Toss back in the bacon and add arugula.
- Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Score the duck breasts in a diamond pattern just through the skin.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place skin side down in a cold skillet and saute for 3-5 minutes on low heat.
- Raise heat to medium and flip over another 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a baking sheet (or leave in skillet if oven proof) and allow to finish cooking in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove and slice, serve over the hash and drizzle with the glaze.
- Bring the pom juice to a simmer and add the sugar.
- Stir until dissolved.
- Add the zest and allow to reduce for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- This keeps for 2 months in an airtight container.
- For use in this recipe, saute the shallot in the same pan as you cooked the duck (duck removed) until softened.
- Deglaze pan with orange liqueur, reduce for several minutes.
- Add 5-6 TB of the pom molasses and the chipotle.
- Pour over duck breasts and hash.
All Rights Reserved; Basilmomma (www.basilmomma.com) – This recipe may not be distributed, sold or used for any commercial purpose (including sharing on social media platforms). The ONLY authorized use is by to share an IMAGE ONLY along with a link to the blog post on basilmomma.com where the recipe can be found.