Tallman’s easy roasted chicken recipe is one that’s perfect for Sunday dinner, but easy enough to make for a weeknight meal, too. I shared it in my newspaper column at The Daily Journal.
“Spice of Life: ‘Epicurious’ Cooks Can Create with Basilmomma”.
Some people throw themselves into a hobby like knitting, painting or scrap booking, but I choose to cook.
I like to think of cooking as a means to an end. I don’t just mean whipping up some Hamburger Helper between swim practice and Zumba. I mean researching the perfect recipe, tweaking it to be my own, and making magic with the stove. Then it becomes a recipe like my Steakhouse Stroganoff.
In an effort to create delicious meals without a huge amount of effort, I created this easy roasted chicken recipe.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make it:
Herb butter ingredients
• 5 3-inch sprigs of thyme
• 1 3-inch sprig of rosemary
• 5 fresh sage leaves
• 1 shallot, peeled and finely chopped
• Zest of one lemon
• 1 teaspoon honey
• 3 tablespoons room-temperature, unsalted butter
• 2 teaspoons kosher salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 6 shallots, peeled and halved
• 1 whole head of garlic, clean, unpeeled and cut in half horizontally
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 chicken (4 – 4½ pounds) cut into pieces
• 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock or broth
• 1½ tablespoons Dijon mustard
• 1 tablespoon butter