Quick, easy and packed full of the flavors of fall, this coffee cake is made better by using a mix I found at the store the other day. This baking mix, by Hodgson Mill, had several recipes on the back. I decided to test one out but of course-give it my own spin.
The mix in question is Insta-Bake Whole Wheat variety baking mix with buttermilk.
I used their Streusel Coffee Cake recipe but swapped out some of the milk for pumpkin puree, added some spice and made a nice little drizzle for the top!
- 2 C Hodgson Mill Baking Mix
- 2 TB sugar
- 2 TB cold butter
- 1 egg
- ½ C milk
- ¾ C pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or less if you don't like that spice blend as well)
- Streusel topping:
- ⅔ C of HM baking mix
- ⅔ C packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp of cinnamon
- ¼ C cold butter
- Cut in these ingredients in a small bowl.
- combine ½ C powdered sugar
- ⅓ C pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 big spoonfulls of a prepared caramel sauce (I used Best Boy and Co )
- mix until desired consistency and drizzle over warm cake.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Grease a 9½ by ½ inch round cake pan.
- Combine the first 2 ingredients in a mixing bowl and cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 butter knifes.
- Add remaining ingredients, except topping, and beat by hand for 20 strokes.
- Spread in the prepared pan;sprinkle with the topping.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.