15 Bean Soup With Leftover Ham- A great way to use up that leftover ham!
Grab a bag of Hurst’s 15 Bean Soup and save that ham bone- you can make a great soup with that leftover ham in no time! 15 Bean Soup with Leftover Ham is a family friendly classic!
This recipe can also be seen on the Southern Plate/ Southern Bite Easter Recipes and More Round-Up!
Grab a bag of Hurst’s 15 Bean Soup and hang on to it- come Sunday night you may be looking for ways to use that leftover holiday ham! This is a recipe that could not be more simple and best of all you can make it in the slow cooker, stove top or soak and cook. 15 Bean Soup With Leftover Ham is also the perfect meal for those family members that may still be in town.
As you know I use a lot of Hurst Beans in my kitchen. Here are a few of my favorite recipes where Hurst Beans are the star:
15 Bean Soup With Leftover Ham makes use of not only the leftover pieces but also, if you wish, the ham bone. Just let that cook along with the rest of the ingredients and remove before serving. I make the recipe the same way as Hurst Beans has for decades and this is the recipe that is printed on the bag of 15 bean soup.
Want to make it in the slow cooker? Place your rinsed and sorted beans in a 4+ Qt slow cooker. Pour in 10 cups of water, add all ingredients in recipe except tomatoes, lemon juice and seasoning packet. Those items go in in the last hour. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or until the largest beans are tender.
Want to make it on the stove top-quick? Add all beans and 10 C water to a dutch oven. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Then add remaining ingredients (except seasoning packet) and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes. Add in the seasoning packet and taste. Allow to simmer 5-10 more minutes and serve.
Soak method? Allow beans to soak overnight then add to pot with 8 C of water, simmer covered 2 hours, add remaining ingredients, simmer 30 minutes more, taste and serve.
To tell you the truth I cook in the slow cooker often but most of the time I just do the quick cook method on the stove top. It is great to have options!
Watch a quick 45 second video on how YOU too can make
Hurst’s 15 Bean Soup with Leftover Ham in a Slow Cooker:
Here is your list of ingredients:
- pkg Hurst’s® HamBeens® 15 Bean Soup®
- 8 cups water (use chicken, beef, or vegetable broth for added flavor)
- 1 lb. smoked sausage, ground sausage (browned in pan), ham hocks or diced ham. You can also use a leftover hambone with some meat on it.
- 1 lg. onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chili powder (optional)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (15 oz.)
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Optional: Hot sauce or crushed red pepper to taste
Pick a cooking method above
- For even more flavor, substitute beef, chicken or vegetable stock instead of water.
- You can also try 1 lb. boneless chicken breasts or 1 lb. beef roast, then shred meat before Step 5 above.
- As with all dry bean recipes, it’s best to wait until AFTER the beans have become tender or fully cooked before adding any acidic ingredients like tomatoes, citrus, vinegars, etc.
- Remember that this is a NO SOAK recipe, but if you have already soaked the beans that’s not a problem, just use 1 cup of water/stock less.
- Variations on the recipe will work for almost all of Hurst’s HamBeens items.
- If you prefer a more “brothy” soup, add an extra cup of liquid when preparing
For more recipes like this one visit HurstBeans.com