I am sharing another of the winning entries from last years King Arthur Flour Sweet Victory Challenge that was held at the National Maple Syrup Festival on the grounds on Burton’s Maplewood Farm in Medora, Indiana. This years festival is almost here and they are still taking entries in the recipe challenge!
- 8 oz elbow macaroni
- 5 Tb unbleached King Arthur Flour
- 6 TB unsalted butter
- 2 C peeled and diced pear
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp fresh black pepper
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 2 1/3 C half and half
- 2 C shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 C crumbled blue cheese
- 1/3 C real maple syrup (plus more for drizzling), I used Burtons Maplewood Farm
- 1/2 C walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray (or butter) a 2-quart baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Fill a large pot with water and boil macaroni just shy of al-dente.
- Drain and reserve.
- In a small skillet saute the pear with 1 TB of butter.
- Remove from heat.
- In a sauce pan melt 4 TB of the butter and whisk in the flour.
- Add salt, pepper and the nutmeg.
- Allow to cook for 1 minute on medium heat then whisk in the half and half.
- Add 1 3/4 C of the mozzarella and 3/4 of the blue cheese.
- Stir until melted and smooth.
- Stir in the maple syrup and pears.
- Add the drained pasta and remove form heat.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 TB of melted butter, walnuts and remaining cheeses.
- Ladle the pasta mixture into the baking dish.
- Cover with the cheese and walnut topping.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Allow to sit 5 minutes before serving.
Savory Category Winner Recipe by Michael Cohen Los Angeles, California