The first and by far easiest recipe I made from the new Slow Cooking All Year Round cookbook from Gooseberry Patch is Brown Sugar Oatmeal on page 8. I knew this would fit in perfectly over the weekend when we had to be up and out of the house before 6 am for a 3 day long swim meet!
I literally threw this in the crock pot before I went to bed. That’s it. Mine has a timer so it stayed piping hot all night. I added a pinch of cinnamon to this, because I like the flavor. This is great as the recipe is though
- 1 C steel cut oats, uncooked
- 4 C water
- 1/2 C half and half
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 2 T pure vanilla
- optional dried fruit and nuts
- Add oats, water and half and half to a slow cooker.
- Stir well
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving add the sugar and vanilla.