Every week each of my kids gets to pick out what we have for dinner one night. What they pick-I will make.
Jacob declared, after thumbing through his new Gooseberry Patch Cookbook he got at the Country Living Fair, that his dinner choice was inside.
He actually showed Vickie and JoAnn, of Gooseberry Patch fame, the first recipe he was going to make with me when he was getting his cookbook autographed They thought it was so cute!
His choice was Salisbury Steak and believe it or not, this recipe came together in minutes , can easily be lightened up, and is something the kids can help you make
Recipe Found in 101 Hearty Recipes from Gooseberry Patch
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 sleeve of NO SALT saltines, crushed
- 2 TB Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 16 oz package of sliced mushrooms
- 1 TB butter
- 3 small cans of low fat-low sodium cream of mushroom soup-I used Pacific Organics brand
- 1 C low fat sour cream or plain Greek Yogurt
- snipped chives
- fresh pepper
- buttered noodles or smashed potatoes
- In a bowl, mix together ground beef, onion, eggs, crackers. Wsauce and garlic powder.
- Form into patties of a medium size.
- Brown in a skillet and remove.
- Saute the mushrooms until tender.
- Combine soup and sour cream and add to skillet, heat through for a few minutes.
- Return patties to the pan.
- Serve over noodles or potatoes.
- Garnish with chives.