I knew the moment that I put my hands on the Fall issue of Edible Indy Magazine, that I would find several new and exciting dishes to add to my fall lineup. Edible Indy is a favorite of mine. Not just for the food and photography, but for the simple reason that most of the featured restaurants and foods are some of my favorites, or places my husband and I like to visit.
Please visit their site when you have a chance. My description will not do it justice:)
The first recipe I made was the Pear and Parmesan Salad. The picture drew me in, and the bacon! I knew this straight up salad would be a hit and it was. Since then I have made it using dried cranberries and Gorgonzola cheese in lieu of the Parmesan cheese. It was simply delicious!
I would like to thank Chef Ryan Nelson for this wonderful offering. You can find Chef Nelson at Late Harvest Kitchen in Indianapolis, Indiana.
Serves 2, but I double it easily.
- 1 red pear, thinly sliced
- 1/4 C high quality Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely shredded
- 1/4 C cooked diced bacon
- 1/4 lb (4 oz) fresh arugula
- 4 TB of salad dressing (see recipe below)
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Simple Vinaigrette
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 C Dijon mustard
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 C red wine vinegar
- 1 3/4 C olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl, toss well. Place on a serving side and sprinkle with a bit more Parmesan cheese.
- Vinaigrette Instructions:
- Combine all ingredients except olive oil in a blender.
- Turn on blender and drizzle olive oil in and blend until completely emulsified.
- Keeps for 1 week in the refrigerator.